Mascarpone stuffed dates with pistachios is a versatile and easy no-bake dish. It makes a great dessert, appetizer or snack. On top of that, the dessert is so easy to assemble my 6-year-old little sis-in-law can do it!
I used Deglet Noor dates because the texture is firm and thick without tasting overly sweet. This makes them perfect for appetizers. For a sweeter version, you could use Medjool dates.
To make the dish, I pitted the dates and filled them cannoli-style with mascarpone cream. Crushed pistachios add texture, flavor and color. I placed the stuffed dates on a bed of thin butter almond cookies to enhance the presentation and make them easier to handle.
1. Info for Stuffed Dates with Pistachios
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 15
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Stuffed Dates with Pistachios
- 30 Deglet Noor dates
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1-½ tablespoons powdered sugar, + extra for decoration
- 1 tablespoon date syrup
- 1 drop kewra extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted pistachio, slightly crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- 15 thin butter almond cookies
- ½ teaspoon red-colored sugar, for garnish
- Slit the dates open on each end and carefully remove and discard the pits using a chopstick, creating a hole in the center of each date.
- In a small bowl, combine the mascarpone cheese, kewra extract, date syrup and sea salt.
- Using a mini whisk, beat the cream in another bowl until it forms soft peaks. Do NOT over-mix. Add powdered sugar. Pour 1/3 of the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture to soften it. Mix well using a silicone spatula. Pour in the rest of the whipped cream; gently fold the cream into the mascarpone to get an airy mousse.
- Plastic-wrap the container and place in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
- Use a star-shaped decorating tip. Spoon the mascarpone cream into a pastry bag (I used a small zip-tip bag, cut one corner and fitted in the decorating tip) with the mascarpone cream.
- Pipe a little filling into each end of the date. Dip each end in the crushed pistachios.
- Pipe 2 (1-inch) ”snakes” parallel to each other onto an almond thin. The cream will act as a ”glue” and will bond the dates to the cookie. Place 2 dates onto the creamed snakes.
- Repeat until all the dates are placed. Place the cookies on a serving platter. Pipe little flowers with the rest of the cream.
- Dust with powder sugar and sprinkle with red-colored sugar in between each flower.
- Enjoy with a cup of masala chai.
- Bon appétit!