The whole family went last weekend to our favorite dim-sum place and we had a sweet coconut red rice soup with corn for dessert. I’ve probably said it before, but Asian desserts are not always the most glamourous-looking sweets.
Looks can be deceiving though, and the girls love it so much that they asked me to make it at home. Give it a try!
1. Info for Sweet Coconut Red Bean Soup with Corn
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 12
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Sweet Coconut Red Bean Soup with Corn
- 3 quarts water
- 2-1/2 cups red rice
- 1/3 bunch pandan leaves, knotted
- 3/4 cup grated palm sugar, tightly packed
- 2 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 (18.34-ounce) can sweetened red azuki beans (ogura an), slightly mashed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8.75 ounce) can no salt corn kernels
- Soaking the rice: Wash the rice throughly. Place in a large bowl, cover with water. Soak for at least 2 hours. Drain as much liquid as possible.
- How to cook red rice: Fill the 2-1/4 quartswater in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add the soaked red rice. Bring the liquid back to a boil, cover with a lid and immediately lower the heat to a gentle boil. That way the rice released has much starch as possible. Cook for about 35-40 minutes at a bubbly simmer. Add salt half-way through the cooking process (it will bring the natural flavor of the red rice). Keep stirring the rice every now and then so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pot. DO NOT DISCARD THE LIQUID! Drain the liquid from the rice using a fine mesh colander. Reserve the starchy liquid and use the red rice for another recipe (see tips).
- Assembly time: In the same pot, add pandan leaves, coconut milk and corn to the rice cooking liquid. Bring the liquid back to a boil and immediately lower the heat to a simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the half and half, red beans and palm sugar. Cook for another 5 minutes. Stir well. Turn off the heat. Add the vanilla extract. Cover and let all the flavors infuse for about an hour. Fish out and discard the pandan leaves.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, accompanied with a tall glass of trà Thái (Thai Iced tea in VIetnamese).