Today I tried to make a gluten free version of the Scallion Shortcakes but I did not want to go out and buy the gf flours that I really needed. Instead, I tried to use the few I had in my freezer and the results were SO bad that I threw the entire pan out and kicked myself for wasting food.
The tomato salad was wonderful. And I had already made up the whipped goat cheese. So out came my handy gluten free bread and I made a vintage appetizer: toast points. I can imagine that the shortcakes would have been wonderful, but this adaptation was much more waistline friendly. I may or may not have eaten all of the goat cheese for lunch, leaving a bowl of tomato salad that I later combined with two sliced cucumbers for a refreshing salad served with grilled meat.
1. Info for Tomato Scallion Goat Cheese Toast Points
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Tomato Scallion Goat Cheese Toast Points
- bread to be toasted
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- dash salt
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar (or regular white sugar)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 8oz clam-shell of grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 4 oz log goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp orange blossom honey
- In one bowl, combine oil, vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper, tomatoes and scallions.
- Refrigerate 1 hour to meld flavors.
- In another bowl, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Add honey and goat cheese and mix well.
- Toast bread.
- To assemble, spread goat cheese on bread.
- Cut into 4 triangles.
- Spoon on tomato salad on each triangle.
- Serve immediately.