Cutlets are a slightly denser Indian version of traditional potato latkes. They are flavored with Indian seasonings like dried mint, turmeric, fried onions, and of course, spicy green peppers.
We make tray-fulls of these tasty potato patties on weekends. It’s a fun and easy recipe to make with kids to get them into the joy of cooking.
1. Info for Vegetarian Cutlets (Indian Potato Latkes)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Vegetarian Cutlets (Indian Potato Latkes)
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 3 Tbs cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 Tbs fried yellow onion
- 1 slice white bread
- 2-3 Tbs whole milk
- 1 Tbs grey salt
- 3 Tbs sour cream
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs sunflower oil
- 1 Tbs Ghee (clarified butter), melted
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- 2 whole jalapeno green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- Peel the potatoes. Wash them. Place them in a pot filled with water, boil them until tender for 20-22 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. Let them cool down. Then coarsely grate all the potatoes using a cheese grater. Using food service disposable gloves, mash the shredded potatoes with the dried mint, chili powder, fried onions, and turmeric powder in a big container.
- Cut up the slice of bread and place it in a bowl. Pour the milk on the bread and it will get mushy as you mash it with your hands. Transfer the bread to the potato container. Add the chopped jalapeno and the sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, cook the chopped garlic in the hot sunflower oil, until it is slightly golden. Add the garlic oil and ghee to the potato dough. Add the chopped cilantro. Grease the disposable gloves with oil, then form about 50 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil until hot. Lower the heat to medium-high, then place the patties in the skillet. Brown each side of the cutlets. Transfer the golden cutlets onto a big platter lined with paper towels.
- Accompany with raita. Serve immediately. Enjoy!