Chocolate lava cake is a simple chocolate cake that has not been fully cooked through. That may not sound very appetizing but the result is a decadent chocolate molten center that oozes out of the cake when you cut into it.
Valentine’s Day is on its way! I titled the recipe Chocolate Lava Cake for Two but in my house, I have to share the love with my 10 other family members.
The little one had her first chocolate lava cake today and she asked me, more like demanded, that I make it every day. Even if you’re only making it for your special someone, you might want to make a couple more.
1. Info for Chocolate Lava Cake for Two (with Molten Center)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 12
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Chocolate Lava Cake for Two (with Molten Center)
- 8 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup bittersweet dark chocolate, (about 7 oz)
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, to grease the molds
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted (3.5 oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon imitation brandy extract
- 3 tablespoons coco powder, to dust
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Using a standmixer, whisk the eggs with the sugar until you get a pale yellow color foam. It’ll take about 10 minutes. The consistency must be very airy. Add both the brandy and vanilla extract.
- Place the chocolate in a separate bowl and heat for 30 seconds in the microwave. Beware! Don’t burn it… Add the butter to the melted chocolate. Add the chocolate butter mixture to the eggs. Then sift the flour over the batter and gently fold in using a silicone spatula.
- Coat all ramekins with a thin layer of butter, dust with cocoa powder. Fill up the 12 ramekins 3/4 of the way up with the chocolate batter. Plastic-wrap each ramekin and refrigerate for at least an hour. The batter will firm up.
- Bake for 12-13 min, the center should be still molten. Remove from the oven.
- Get all the 12 ramekins lined up. Place a dessert plate on each ramekin. Flip each ramekin on each plate right away. Unmold each ramekin, then dust with powered sugar.
- You can add fresh raspberries for decoration or a dollop of crème chantilly (whipped cream) or a good vanilla bean ice cream with a leaf of fresh mint.
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!