I recently bought beautiful jumbo artichokes at Costco. I would normally steam them and pair them with an aïoli sauce to dip the artichoke leaves in, but today I felt like making a roasted bell pepper flavored mayonnaise.
The result is a creamy, tasty sauce with an appealing, bright red color. As a reminder of the flavor in the sauce, I garnished the top with the finely chopped roasted bell peppers.
1. Info for Red Bell Pepper Mayonnaise Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 12
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Red Bell Pepper Mayonnaise Recipe
- 6 jumbo artichokes, steamed
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 cloves pickled garlic, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 3 small egg yolks
- juice of 1 lemon (or 2 tablespoons white vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- For the roasted peppers: Place a grill on your stove and char the skin. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Wash under running water and the skin will come right off. Stem, seed and coarsely chop. Add the pickled garlic and a pinch cayenne powder. Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish. Note: All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Add the honey (if used) and Dijon mustard. Stir continuously and very slowly add the extra-virgin olive oil, a little at a time, until fully combined. Whisk until emulsified. Add lemon juice. Stir until the color is uniform. Season with salt.
- If the sauce is too thick add 1-2 tablespoons of boiling water. If it’s too watery, add more tablespoons oil (up to ½ cup total). If you’ve tried both solutions (boiling water or oil) and the sauce isn’t set, whisk in another egg yolk with lemon juice (or vinegar).
- Let sit at room temperature.
- Combine the red peppers with the mayonnaise. Stir until the color is uniform. Store in the refrigerator. At the last minute, fill individual cups with the red mayonnaise. Top with the reserved bell peppers.
- On a serving platter, place the steamed artichokes. Decorate with the cups around the artichokes.
- Bon appétit!