Shakshuka is a dish of poached eggs cooked on a bed of flavorful and spicy tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers and onions. This dish originates from North Africa.
I prepared the tomato mixture early in the morning with very sweet cherry tomatoes. All I needed to do at serving time was to crack the eggs over the vegetable mixture and poach them for a few minutes.
1. Info for Shakshuka Recipe (Poached Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Shakshuka Recipe (Poached Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce)
- 6 whole eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, grilled and coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red Thai chile, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions and cook for 10-12 minutes until golden. Add the garlic and red chili flakes cook until fragrant. Add the bell peppers, cover and cook over low heat for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the mixture from burning. Add 2½ cups cherry tomatoes, tomato paste, red chile, zucchini, ground coriander and ground cumin. Add ¼ cup water. Simmer for 10-12 minutes. The mixture should thicken. Add Tabasco sauce and the remaining tomatoes. Toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Form 6 wells in the tomato mixture and crack eggs into each of the indentations. Cover and cook for 8 minutes until the egg whites are opaque; they should be slightly firm. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes for the eggs to set.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with pieces of bread.
- Bon appétit!