Berries are in season and we bought delicious flavorful blueberries and strawberries from Rogue Valley Farmers’ Market in Ashland, Oregon. I was amazed to discover all the locally grown produce there.
Here’s an easy and simple fruit salad I made for a picnic we had in Lithia Park that I wanted to share with you. I took the blueberries and strawberries from the market and served them along with brownies and chantilly (whipped cream). It was a real success, as there were only empty bowls to bring home.
1. Info for Strawberry and Blueberry Fruit Salad Recipe (Coupe Fraises Myrtilles)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Strawberry and Blueberry Fruit Salad Recipe (Coupe Fraises Myrtilles)
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 tablespoons turbinado raw sugar (or superfine sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- juice of half a lemon
- 10 spearmint leaves, finely chopped
- Wash the blueberries and strawberries and pat them dry in a kitchen towel. Cut the strawberries into quarters. Place both fruits in a serving bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle with sugar and add vanilla extract and lemon zest. Toss the berries to ensure they are well coated. Some juice will form at the bottom of the bowl. Finish with spearmint leaves. Toss occasionally. Let stand at room temperature for at least 10-15 minutes. Check the sweetness of the strawberries; sprinkle more sugar if necessary.
- Et voilà!
- Enjoy with vanilla-flavored whipped cream, crème fraîche or sweetened mascarpone cream and brownies on the side!