Nutritional yeast and cashews make for a creamy, delicious, and vegan take on mac and cheese that will have everyone coming back for seconds. Be sure to plan ahead – the cashews will need 2 to 8 hours to soak.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Easy Vegan Mac and “Cheese”.
1. Info for Easy Vegan Mac and “Cheese”
- Cook Time: 50 Min
- Total Time: 50 Min
- Servings: 11
- Calories: 560.86 kcal
2. Ingredients for Easy Vegan Mac and “Cheese”
- 8oz. raw unsalted cashews, soaked
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups (330g) sauerkraut, drained and firmly-packed
- 4 ½ cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/3 cup (30g) nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 Tbs. (45g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. mustard powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. short-cut pasta
- 4oz. (36 crackers) buttery round crackers (ex: Ritz)
- 4 Tbs. (57g) vegan buttery spread, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the cashews with enough water to cover them completely. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to soak at room temperature for at least 2 hours, and preferably 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the salt.
- Drain the cashew nuts from the soaking water and transfer them to the bowl of a food processor or high-power blender. Add the sauerkraut, cashew milk, nutritional yeast, olive oil, flour, garlic powder, paprika, mustard powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
- Process or blend the mixture on high speed until completely smooth and the consistency of thick cream, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the elbow macaroni to the boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente, 9-10 minutes. Drain the pasta in a large colander, and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Return the drained pasta to the pot.
- Once the sauce is smooth, add it to the drained pasta in the pot. Stir to combine.
- Pour the pasta into the prepared baking dish.
- Place the crackers in a plastic bag and crush them to the consistency of coarse sand using a rolling pin. Transfer the cracker crumbs to a large bowl.
- Place the buttery spread in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until melted, about 30 seconds. Pour the melted butter over the cracker crumbs. Mix with a fork until the crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle the cracker crumbs in an even layer over the pasta.
- Bake the mac and “cheese” on middle rack of oven until edges are bubbling and the topping is slightly browned, 22-25 minutes.
- Check to see that mac and “cheese” is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow macaroni and “cheese” to rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.