Made with reduced-fat cream cheese and Greek yogurt, this carrot cake is lighter in calories than the classic version, but sacrifices nothing in flavor!
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Skinny Carrot Cake with Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting.
1. Info for Skinny Carrot Cake with Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cook Time: 1 Hr 45 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 45 Min
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 550.4 kcal
2. Ingredients for Skinny Carrot Cake with Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 medium carrots (about 2 cups, grated)
- 6 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (150g per 3/4 cup, packed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g per 1/2 cup)
- 3 eggs
- 1 can crushed pineapple (8 oz., well-drained)
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract (divided)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or a blend of cinnamon, ginger powder, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt (scant)
- 12oz. reduced-fat cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
- 3/4 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Spray two 8- or 9-inch cake pans liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Grate the carrots.
Place the canola oil, applesauce, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, crushed pineapple, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously until smooth and combined.
Add the flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Continue whisking until the mixture is just combined. Do not over-mix.
Fold in the grated carrots.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
Bake the cakes on middle rack of oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 28-33 minutes.
Check to see that cakes are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 15-20 minutes. To release the cakes, run a butter knife between the edge of the cake and the pan. Turn each cake onto a cooling rack. Allow the cakes to cool completely, 1-2 hours. While the cakes cool, make the frosting.
Place the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the Greek yogurt, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Continue beating on medium speed until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Cover the bowl of frosting with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Frost cakes as desired, and serve. Refrigerate leftovers in a container for up to 1 week.