A whole chicken roasted low and slow in your oven produces a tender, fall-off-the-bone bird that is worlds better than any grocery store rotisserie chicken.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Slow Roasted Chicken.
1. Info for Slow Roasted Chicken
- Cook Time: 3 hr 10 min
- Total Time: 3 hr 10 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 570 kcal
2. Ingredients for Slow Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole roasting chicken (4-5 lb.)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter (softened)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 onion
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and position a wire rack in the pan.
- Remove and discard the giblets from the cavity of the chicken.
- Crush the garlic cloves with the side of a knife and discard the papery skins.
- Take one garlic clove and rub it firmly over the entire surface of the chicken. Place all the crushed garlic cloves in the cavity of the chicken.
- Liberally season the chicken inside and out with the salt and black pepper.
- Stir the softened butter and olive oil together in a small bowl until mostly combined. With clean hands, rub the butter and olive oil all over the surface of the chicken and under the breast skin.
- Sprinkle the paprika and garlic powder over the chicken, then place the chicken on the wire rack breast side up.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine, and tuck the wing tips beneath the body of the chicken.
- Separate the onion into two parts and place into the cavity of the chicken, along with the parsley, thyme, and lemon half.
- Roast the chicken on middle rack of oven until the thickest part of the breast reaches an internal temperature of 160°F, 2 3/4-3 hours.
- Check to see that chicken is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Leftovers may be refrigerated for 3-4 days or frozen for up to 2 months.