There’s no need to cook separately for the vegans at your table when you serve mashed potatoes that are every bit as good as the traditional kind made with milk and butter. Be sure to use unsweetened almond milk (or another favorite nut milk) to keep them savory. For the fastest prep, you can start cooking the potatoes cooking while the garlic roasts.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic.
1. Info for Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: 1 hr
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 190.89 kcal
2. Ingredients for Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 lb. Yukon gold potatoes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (room temperature)
- 3 Tbsp. vegan butter (softened, for mixing)
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (for mixing)
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt (for mixing)
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper (or black pepper, for mixing)
- Salt (optional, for serving)
- Ground white pepper (or black pepper; optional, for serving)
- Additional vegan butter (or extra-virgin olive oil, optional, for serving)
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Slice about 1/4 off the top of the head of garlic to expose some cloves. Rub all over with the olive oil. Wrap garlic head in a small sheet of foil.
Roast the garlic directly on middle rack of oven until garlic cloves are tender (open up to check), about 30 minutes.
Check to see that garlic is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Let garlic stand until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch chunks.
Put potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes; drain. Return potatoes to saucepan.
Add the almond milk, vegan butter, olive oil, salt, and pepper to potatoes. Mash with a large fork or potato masher until fairly smooth.
Squeeze the roasted garlic out of papery skins and add to potatoes. Stir to combine. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if desired.
Transfer to a serving bowl and top with additional vegan butter or olive oil if served.