This whimsical chocolate dessert marks the onset of the holiday season. The sweet treat consists of espresso dark chocolate, orange and salted caramel milk chocolate layers. If you omit the garnish, you’ll notice that the dessert is egg-free and gluten-free.
Having an almost 3-year old at home is a constant reminder that I need to get prepared to celebrate Halloween. We’ve gone through so many costume ideas already, I wonder which one Aria will finally agree on when the times comes! For this dessert, I prepared three different flavors of chocolate mousse. The mousse required very few ingredients: milk, whipping cream, butter, sugar and of course chocolate (the star of this sweet treat!).
1. Info for Triple Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Triple Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- ¼ cup granulated sugar)
- 3 ounces salted caramel milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces orange chocolate apeel chips (see tips)
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons concentrated espresso shot (see tips)
- ½ cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Place the 3 chocolates in 3 separate stainless-steel mixing bowls. Make a "double boiler" (a pot filled with hot water, covered with a piece of cloth) and place each bowl filled with chocolate on top to melt the chocolates. Make sure the bowl circumference is larger than the pot, so there isn’t any splatter of water in the chocolate. Slowly melt, stirring frequently. Turn off the heat and add 2½ tablespoons each milk and butter to each of the bowls. Stir well until the mixtures are uniform.
- Add the concentrated espresso into the dark chocolate bowl. Mix well.
- Whip the heavy cream with salt (at low speed) for 2-3 minutes until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar. Increase to maximum speed and keep beating for another 2-3 minutes, until it forms soft peaks. Do not over-beat or the texture will become grainy.
- Pour one-third of the whipped cream into the first melted chocolate. Mix well. Pour one-third into the second chocolate bowl and the rest of the whipped cream into the third chocolate; using a silicone spatula, gently fold the cream into the chocolates.
- Transfer to a piping bag.
- Pipe the 3 types of chocolate mousse to fill cute mini cups about one third of the way, starting with the espresso. Repeat with the orange chocolate mousse, piping on top of the semi-sweet chocolate mousse and finally the salted caramel chocolate mousse. Smooth the tops and cover each cup with plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, unwrap the cups and garnish with your favorite cookie (I used a small square of cookie pie). Dust with a little powdered sugar (using a fine mesh strainer) if you like.
- Bon appétit!