Wonton soup is made with dumplings and flavorful broth. It may look difficult, but the dish isn’t as complicated as it seems. The key is to use thin, good quality wonton wraps. I’ve tried several brands and I’ve finally found the one with perfect thickness and consistency. All you need is a little practice at folding the dumplings. I will post a video soon demonstrating how to make wontons. Stay tuned!
I filled these wontons with fried jicama, tofu and shiitake mushrooms. I served the soup as a side dish. It’s vegetarian, low in calories and delicious. Wontons are work, but they are rewarding.
1. Info for Vegetarian Wonton Soup Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Vegetarian Wonton Soup Recipe
- 1 package thin wonton wraps (squares)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ jicama (see tips)
- ½ (12-ounce) package firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste (see tips)
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1-½ teaspoons mushroom seasoning salt (or regular salt)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 egg whites (optional), lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons caramelized onions
- 3 quarts vegetable broth
- ¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Prepping the tofu: Cut the tofu into ½-inch slices. Blanch the tofu for about 3-4 minutes in salted water. Drain the liquid. Let the tofu cool a little. Then mash the boiled tofu with your hand using disposable gloves. It should resemble large-sized cottage cheese curds. Set the tofu aside. For the jicama: Peel and slice horizontally into ½-inch thick pieces. In a large pan, heat the oil and fry the jicama slices until golden brown. Once they are cool enough to handle, cut the pieces into very thin strips, then finely chop them. Set aside.
- Making wonton filling: In the same pan, add more oil if necessary. Add the ginger garlic paste; cook until fragrant. Add the chopped mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the jicama and caramelized onions. Season with mushroom seasoning salt and pepper. Allow to cool a little. Add 2 tablespoons each green onions and cilantro.
- How to wrap wontons (this is one method; there are a million other ways of forming these dumplings): Brush 2 adjacent sides of a wonton square with the egg whites (if used). Place a teaspoon of the wonton filling. Fold in half, in a triangle shape (two opposite corners together). Brush the tips of the wonton with egg whites (if used) and gather both ends and press firmly.