Have you ever had trouble serving baklava? It gets sticky, messy and difficult to handle. I found a solution by using shredded phyllo dough instead of sheets of phyllo dough and baking it in individual molds. They tend to trap the syrupy goodness in their web instead of getting soaked and sticky. Since it’s the holidays, I wanted to add the flavor of Christmas to the baklava, so I added chestnuts. I layered both chestnut purée and roasted chestnuts into the baklava, along with crushed pistachios for color and flavor. I also substituted date syrup for honey, which added a depth of flavor and a strong contrast of color.
If you’re looking for a dessert recipe for the holidays that’s easy to make but looks elegant, consider baklava. It’s an easy, stress-free dessert that is sure to please everyone.
I used pure, organic date syrup from Organics Are For Everyone. If you’ve never tried date syrup before, you’re in for a treat. You can use it in place of just about any syrup. Date syrup has a mild tanginess to it that balances the sweetness. I especially like it on waffles, pancakes and French toast.
1. Info for Chestnut Baklava Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Chestnut Baklava Recipe
- ½ (1-pound) package shredded phyllo dough, thawed
- 10 ounces chestnut spread, (3 100-gram small tins)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup vanilla sugar (see tips)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted roasted pistachio kernels, coarsely crushed
- ¼ cup date syrup
- 1-¼ cups roasted chestnuts, coarsely crumbled, + extra fpr garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the melted butter in a spray bottle. Place the bottle in bowl filled with hot water so the butter remains melted.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios for garnish.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining pistachios, vanilla sugar and light brown sugar.
- Spray individual non-stick tins with the melted butter. Create a nest with one level of shredded phyllo dough. Sprinkle with a little of the pistachio mixture. Spray with a generous layer of melted butter. Spoon little mounds of chestnut spread and top with crumbled roasted chestnuts. Spray more melted butter. Add another layer of shredded phyloo dough. Repeat until you have 2 separate layers of pistachio mixture. Make sure to spray butter between each layer of shredded phyllo dough. Finish with a nest of shredded phyllo dough and a sprinkle of the pistachio mixture. Spray melted butter on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 375°F, then lower the heat to 350°F and bake 15 to 20 minutes until slightly golden.
- Unmold the baklava and drizzle with date syrup while it’s still hot to moisten the dessert. Let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with pistachios and halved roasted chestnuts.
- Serve with a cup of masala chai.
- Bon appétit!