My friend Hadas is pregnant with her second child and is about to give birth in a few days. Unfortunately, she became sick because of the cold weather. Since some medications can be dangerous during pregnancy, I offered to prepare chicken noodle soup with healing spices used in traditional Chinese medicine, such as turmeric, ginger, onion and red chiles.
My way of making the broth flavorful is to first sauté small pieces of chicken with garlic and red chiles, then deglaze the bits fromt he bottom of the pot with liquid to capture as much flavor as possible. I also added common vegetables (celery and carrots) to complete the soup. Hadas confirmed the soup helped soothe her sore throat.
I also want to thank all of you who stopped by this weekend during my booksigning event at Barnes & Noble Eastridge Mall in San Jose. I had such a blast. Happy holidays!
1. Info for Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 180 kcal
2. Ingredients for Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2¼ to 2½ quarts water
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1½ pounds chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 tablespoon papaya paste (see tips)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper
- 3 dried red chiles, stemmed
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- ½-inch piece fresh turmeric (see tips), freshly grated
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cooked small shell pasta
- 2 carrots, trimmed, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, tightly packed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper, freshly cracked
- Trim any fat from the chicken. Wash the chicken and pat dry using paper towels. Cut into small pieces; season with kosher salt and red chili powder.
- In a zip-top bag (or a bowl), combine 1 clove of garlic, papaya, baking powder, sugar, green onions and soy sauce. Add the chicken. Shake the bag gently to coat the meat with the marinade (or mix well). Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the bag in a baking dish (for easy cleanup). Marinate in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator ahead of time to bring it back to room temperature. Sprinkle the meat with salt.
- In a pot, brush about 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the pot is hot, add the onions. Cook until shiny without coloration. Add the carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the celery and continue cooking for amother 3-4 minutes. Transfer everything to a plate. Add more oil, then add the ginger, turmeric and chicken. Cook for 5 minutes. Lift the meat with tongs and check for a caramelized crust around the meat, then flip the chicken. Lower the heat to medium-low. Add the dried red chiles and red chili powder. Cover the pan and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with black pepper. Toss well, then transfer to another plate.
- In the same pot, add the chicken stock. Return the carrots, celery and onions. Bring to a boil. Cook for about 30 minutes. Using a fine mesh strainer, regularly skim the impurities rising to the surface of the broth. Once the broth is cleared of any impurities, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Bring to a roaring boil and add the cooked chicken.
- Bring the soup back to a simmer. Add the cooked pasta. Cook for another 5 minutes on low. Adjust seasoning and stir well.
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!