I was inspired by the holiday season to make this savory pie. I made my own yam-flavored pie crust and filled it with French green lentils, red onions, crème fraîche and yams and topped it with smoked Cheddar cheese.
To ensure the yams were fully cooked, I twice-baked them. This all-the-way yam pie could be a great highlight to your holiday table.
1. Info for Vegetarian Yam Pie Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Vegetarian Yam Pie Recipe
- 1½ pounds yams
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1½ tablespoons salted or unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pie crust, or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons crème fraîche
- ¼ cup French green Puy lentils, cooked
- ¼ cup freshly fried onions
- 2 ounces smoked Cheddar cheese., thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash the yams. Add cold water to a pot until it barely touches the steamer level. Place the yams in the steamer, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a medium high. Steam for about 20 minutes. The yams should be slightly tender. Remove them from the steamer and let them cool.
- Peel and cut the yams into large cubes Place them on an oiled baking tray. In a bowl, mix 1½ tablespoons salted butter, maple syrup and molasses. Drizzle the yams with the butter/molasses mixture. Sprinkle with salt. Drizzle some canola oil if the yams are not entirely coated.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely mash them.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pie crust with garlic powder. Add 3 tablespoons mashed yams. Add 2 tablespoons flour. Mix until combined.
- Dust a flat surface with the remaining flour. Place the dough and roll it out into a 13-inch dough round.
- Transfer to a round, non-stick, loose-bottomed, (9-inch) tart mold. Following the curve of the mold, crimp the dough against the edge and cut a little excess above the edge (the dough will shrink a bit while it bakes). Bake for 20 minutes, then let sit for at least 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the cooked green lentils, fried onions and 2 tablespoons crème fraîche. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining yams with the rest of the crème fraîche. Mix well.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Fill the tart shell with a first layer of lentils. Top with the a few slices of Gouda cheese. Cover with the yam mixture. Complete with the rest of the smoked Gouda. Baked for 12 minutes, then place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to get a nice golden, cheesy top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with a green salad.
- Bon appétit!