This weekend we had gorgeous weather. It was our first chance to enjoy the sun and eat outside, so I prepared a wonderful Sunday brunch for the family. The centerpiece of the meal was a chilled soup flavored with arugula and cucumber.
Arugula gives both an attractive color and a wonderful taste to the soup. If you’ve never had it, it tastes like a cross between mustard and hazelnut. I served the refreshing soup with little puff pastry appetizers. Easy, healthy and delicious.
1. Info for Cold Cucumber and Arugula Soup Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Cold Cucumber and Arugula Soup Recipe
- 2 English cucumbers
- 8 ounces arugula
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Persian cucumbers, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 clove pickled garlic (or fresh garlic)
- 4 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- Prepping the cucumbers: Cut the English cucumbers in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the seeds. Coarsely chop and sprinkle with salt. For the soup: In a blender, combine the English cucumbers, crème fraîche and yogurt. For a smoother flow, add the vegetable stock. Add ground coriander, pickled garlic and olive oil. Blend until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Note: The soup can be prepared in advance.
- for the garnish: Dice the Persian cucumber. Thread cubed cucumbers and alternate with a few whole arugula leaves.
- Assembly time: Add arugula to the cucumber soup and give the soup a few pulses in the blender. Add hazelnut oil. Place the chilled soup into chilled glasses. Drizzle the top with a little Tabasco sauce and sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper. Garnish with the cucumber and arugula party picks.
- Bon appétit!