I think a mushroom-filled crostata would work wonderfully. The rustic look of the free-form savory pie and the earthy flavors of the five londs of mushroom used go hand in hand. I also added a bit of sharp Cheddar cheese for its melty, stringy and delicious qualities.
The reason I used that many mushrooms (shiitake mushrooms, Portobello mushrooms, beech mushrooms, Boletus mushrooms and fresh white button mushrooms) is because we’re going on a family vacation for Spring break to San Antonio , Texas –follow me on Twitter and Facebook to see more pictures– and my mission was to "empty" our refrigerator. You could add pancetta to the mushroom filling if you don’t mind the dish being non-vegetarian. It gives a subtly sweet, salty note, which is very pleasant.
1. Info for Mushroom Crostata Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Mushroom Crostata Recipe
- 6 Boletus mushrooms
- 6 shiitake mushrooms
- 6 white button mushrooms
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup beech mushrooms, trimmed and separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom honey
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely snipped
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold), diced
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- ¼ cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shaved
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Prepping the Portobello mushrooms: Using the edge of a spoon, scrape and remove the gills of the Portobello mushrooms. Wipe the inside clean using a paper towel (see tips). Brush the mushroom with oil. Cut into ½" pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for about 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent them from burning. Add the Portobello mushrooms and cook until shiny and softened. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- For the white button mushrooms: Maman used to peel the thin outer "skin" on the "hat" of button mushrooms, using a paring knife. If you like them extra clean, do peel them. Thinly slice then mushrooms and set them aside.
- Coarsely chop the rest of the mushrooms. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining oil. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the mushroom mixture and let sit for 1 minute. Stir well for 2-3 minutes, add 2 tablespoons green onions, chives, honey and 3 tablespoons parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for another minute, then transfer to a plate and let cool.