I don’t make these sweet treats too often, because in my opinion (being from France where pastries are subtly sweetened), they’re a tad too sweet. But they’re perfect with a hot of cup of tea and I know my husband Lulu loves them. The concept of these cookies is to create an absolute overload of almonds. The cookie dough is made of chopped almonds, marzipan (honey and almond meal), almond extract, powdered sugar and a strong, floral honey.
I got the girls involved in rolling the cookies into balls and coating them in powdered sugar prior to baking. And once the cookies were baked, the girls dunked them one more time in powdered sugar to resemble snowballs.
1. Info for Almond Tea Cake Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 16
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Almond Tea Cake Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, as needed
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 9 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons almonds, coarsely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom honey
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 tablespoons marzipan
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Add the egg, vanilla and almond extracts. Mix until smooth. Add flour, nutmeg and salt. Mix well. Add honey, chopped almonds and marzipan. Mix until the cookie dough is formed.
- Place the remaining powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or a sheet of parchment paper. Using a melon baller, form 16 balls of cookie dough. Roll the cookie balls in powdered sugar and place onto the baking sheet. Make sure to space the cookies about 2 inches apart so that they don’t touch each other as they expand when they bake.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and while still hot, dunk the cookies in more powdered sugar.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea.
- Bon appétit!