Maple syrup is a staple breakfast item in our pantry. We usually use it as is to drizzle over pancakes and waffles, but since we had extra pecans for Thanksgiving, the girls and I prepared pecan squares flavored with our favorite syrup.
The topping is made of a mixture of maple syrup, of course, orange zest, brown sugar and loads of pecans. I usually bake these squares during the Christmas season.
1. Info for Pecan Squares Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Pecan Squares Recipe
- 10 ounces sweet crust dough (see tips)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 2 cups halved pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- For the pie crust: Place the dough in a (6-½" x 8-½") non-stick rectangular brownie pan lined with parchment paper. Prick the dough with a fork. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Line the dough with another sheet of parchment paper and top with ceramic pie weights (or dried beans). Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature. Remove the pie weights. Set aside.
- For the pecan filling: Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs with granulated sugar until you get a pale yellow foam. Add the orange zest and salt. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan. Add butter, brown sugar, the molasses and maple syrup. Cook over medium-low heat for about 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened. Turn off the heat. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Assembly: Reserve ½ cup pecan halves and corasely chop the rest. Spread the coarsely chopped pecans over the pre-cooked dough. Fill the crust with the warm, thick filling. Decorate with the reserved pecans. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F. Let cool to room temperature until the filling sets.
- Using a paring knife, release the parchment from the side of the baking pan and remove the paper from the bottom. Cut into squares.
- Bon appétit!