3. Lime Chicken Soft Tacos
Quick and easy, tacos are one of the unofficial foods of summer. This citrusy version is bright and fresh – perfect for those hot nights!
- Cuisine: American;
- Category: Main Dish;
- Serves: 2;
- Prep Time:30 min;
- Cook time:20 min;
- Nutrition Per Serving: 164.6;
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Flour or corn tortillas
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ¼ cup shredded romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese
- ¼ cup pico de gallo
- ½ cup Mexican crema
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and cumin. Heat olive oil in a skillet and brown chicken. In a bowl, whisk together vinegar, lime, tequila, sugar, green onions and garlic. Add to chicken and cook over high heat for 10-18 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center.
Add cilantro during the last couple of minutes of cooking. Serve in warm tortillas, topped with diced tomato, shredded lettuce, cheese, and a drizzle of Mexican crema.
For a spicy kick, add ½ can chopped canned chipotle peppers to the chicken mixture, and mix a finely chopped Serrano pepper to the crema.