Le caramel au beurre salé is a classic French sauce. It goes perfectly with many desserts: ice cream, plain yogurt, some berries, banana split, apple tartelet or simply for breakfast on a piece of toast. Un pur délice!
1. Info for Caramel au Beurre Salé (Homemade Sweet Caramel Salted Butter Sauce)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Caramel au Beurre Salé (Homemade Sweet Caramel Salted Butter Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon fleur de sel de Guérande
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream , or even better 4 Tablespoons of crème fraiche
- In a non-stick sauce pan, melt the sugar without water over high heat. It’s important to carefully watch the stove, as soon as the edges of the pan start caramelizing, immediately lower the heat to a medium low.
- Gently jiggle the saucepan in circles. Do not use a spoon! Lower the heat to the lowest setting when there are only a few remaining non-caramelized pieces. Don’t let the sugar get brown, otherwise you’ll get a burnt taste.
- When all the sugar is an amber color, remove from the heat, pause for about a minute (be careful of splattering when the butter is added), then slowly add the butter and salt. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Bring back to the stove using the lowest setting, pour the heavy cream little by little . Let the sauce cool down, then transfer to a squirty plastic squeeze bottle, then drizzle over your favorite dessert. I drizzled mine of a sweet cream glacé.