This classic American apple pie simply can’t be beat. Enjoy a slice on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Classic Apple Pie.
- Time: 1 Hr 30 Min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 407.56 kcal
Ingredients for Classic Apple Pie
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- 6 large or 8 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- Dash of salt
- large egg
- Position a rack in the lowest level in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the pie crust dough in a 9-inch pie plate and press into place, trimming any excess as needed. Line with a sheet of parchment paper large enough to hang over the edges of the plate, and fill with pie weights.
- Bake the crust on lowest rack of oven until edges are very slightly golden and the center is matte, 25-30 minutes.
- When done, remove crust from oven and carefully lift off the parchment and pie weights. Set crust aside to cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°F.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut the apples into 1/4 inch-thick slices, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon over the apples. Add the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ground cloves, and salt. Toss the apples until evenly coated.
- Pour the apples into the prepared pie crust. Place the second pie crust on top of the pie, and crimp the edges together with a fork. Trim away any excess as needed. Poke the center of the pie with the fork 2-3 times, so steam can escape.
- Use a fork to beat together the egg and water. Brush the egg wash over the top of the pie.
- Cover the edges of the pie with a pie guard or strips of aluminum foil.
- Bake the pie on lowest rack of oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Continue baking pie until the crust is golden, 25-30 minutes.
- Check to see that pie is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 1-4 hours before slicing and serving. Cover leftovers and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.