My family loves pie, but it’s gotten to be a bit of a chore for me to turn on the oven. You know, summer, heat, discomfort; I don’t care to mix the oven with the weather at all. However, once in a while, a storm blows through and the temperature doesn’t get up to the 90s. Then, I hurry to the kitchen and turn on the oven. After all, we might freeze with the AC cranked up and the wind howling outside. This last storm resulted in a Chocolate Cream Pie for the fam.
Cream pies have long been a favorite of my husband’s. He loves pudding and what is a cream pie, but pudding with a crust? Add the whipped cream on top and he is in heaven. I think he may have eaten most of this pie. Knowing how much he loves them, it’s a wonder that I don’t make them more often. I’ll put it on my list of things I should do…..we’ll see how it turns out.
I have already succumbed to his complaints about never having the same meal twice. I handed him the menu calendar and said, “Pick 7 meals and I will make them for a month.” I am on my fourth month and it is KILLING ME!! However, Hubs is happy as a clam. I slip once in a while and make something different and he chuckles in that annoying, “Ha! I knew you couldn’t do it!” way that men have. I am sincerely trying, though. It certainly makes grocery shopping easy, if not exciting.
1. Info for Chocolate Cream Pie
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 single pie crust, baked
- 1½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp butter
- In a 2 quart microwave safe bowl, mix the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk in the can of evaporated milk.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Take out the bowl and stir it thoroughly.
- Microwave another minute.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add a bit of the hot milk mixture to temper the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture into the milk mixture and microwave 1 minute, stir, microwave, etc until the mixture is thick.
- Add the vanilla and butter pour into the baked pie shell.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, but preferably at least 4.
- Serve with whipped cream.