There are some foods that send me right back to my childhood (winter squash, banana cake, and liver & onions). Some dishes take me to my grandparents’ house (roast chicken, boiled potatoes & gravy, green beans and apple pie), some take me to high school (pizza, chili fries, and cheese crisps), some take me to the military bases where my father served (beef enchiladas, SOS, and blue cheese dressing). Some foods remind me of the people who first introduced me to that taste (Irish Soda Bread, German Potato Salad, Grilled Salmon, and Rice Crispy Scotcheroos) . It’s funny how much of my life’s memories are wrapped up in food.
The following three in one breakfast gravies have been in my life since I can remember. Basically, it’s one recipe with three meat choices. The results are actually quite different from each other. They are fairly quick and frugal to make as well as hearty. We have one of these variations for breakfast about every other week. The sausage variety is my kids’ favorite.
1. Info for Hearty Three in One Gravy for Breakfast
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Hearty Three in One Gravy for Breakfast
- 4 oz (I use those little Buddig ones) chipped beef, cut into tiny pieces OR 1 lb hamburger OR 1 lb breakfast sausage
- (2 Tbsp butter – chipped beef variety only)
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- toast or biscuits
- For the Chipped beef:
- Melt the butter and saute the onions until soft.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Add the milk, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Bring to a boil over medium low heat and thicken.
- Add the beef and seasonings and heat through.
- Serve over toast.
- For the SOS and Sausage Gravy
- Cook the meat and onion until done, breaking the meat up into small pieces as you cook it.
- Drain, reserving about 2 Tbsp fat in the pan.
- Add the flour and toss to coat.
- Add the milk and stir over medium low heat until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Add the seasonings and serve over toast or biscuits.