Although cinnamon rolls are fun and delicious, I have always wanted to go to the next level and make one of these pretty rings. Basically, they are cinnamon rolls that haven’t been cut apart and placed separately in a pan. You roll them up, seal them into a ring and then cut each roll part way through and twist it into a pretty flower shape.
The interesting thing about this recipe is that it actually tastes and smells like some of the old fashioned sweet rolls you can buy from a bakery. I think it’s the addition of the lemon peel in the dough. The ring didn’t last 24 hours in my house.
1. Info for Sweet Roll Ring
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Sweet Roll Ring
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 5 cups flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tbsp water (may need more to get desired consistency)
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the water, milk and butter.
- Heat until butter is almost completely melted.
- Stir until butter dissolves.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, salt, eggs, lemon rind and milk mixture.
- Add the yeast and let it bubble.
- Mix in the flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead gently until smooth.
- Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough and roll out to a large rectangle.
- Spread with melted butter and sprinkle on combined filling ingredients.
- Roll up like a jelly roll and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Arrange in a ring and seal ends together.
- Every two inches, cut three-quarters of the way through the ring and twist the sections over on their sides to that they are flat on the pan.
- Cover and let rise about 20 minutes.
- Bake 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until well browned and done.
- Cool on a rack.
- To make frosting, mix the butter and sugar.
- Combine the vanilla and water and add until desired consistency is reached.
- Spoon over ring.