Creamy, comforting broccoli cheese soup is simple to make and hits the spot on a cold evening, but you may find yourself making this crowd-pleaser year-round! Keep it in mind for office lunches, too.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Best-Ever Broccoli Cheese Soup.
1. Info for Best-Ever Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 308.01 kcal
2. Ingredients for Best-Ever Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/2 onion (large)
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery (medium)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 oz. broccoli florets (4 to 5 cups)
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for vegetables)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 tsp. salt (for soup)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper (for soup)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (use orange cheddar, 8 oz.)
- Fresh parsley (minced, for serving)
- Salt (optional, for serving)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional, for serving)
- Finely chop the onion, carrots, and celery. Mince the garlic. Chop broccoli into 1/2 inch florets, and finely chop any broccoli stems. Set garlic and broccoli aside.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and salt. Saute until vegetables are softened, 6-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and mustard to pot and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over vegetables and stir to evenly coat.
- Stream the broth and milk into pot, stirring to dissolve flour. Season soup with salt and pepper, then add broccoli.
- Bring soup to a low boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until broccoli is just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, but leave soup pot on the burner. Add half of the cheese to soup in two additions, stirring after each, until completely melted.
- Mince the parsley. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to soup if desired.