Creamy, comforting broccoli cheese soup is simple to make and hits the spot on a cold evening, but you may find yourself making this crowd-pleaser year-round! Keep it in mind for office lunches, too.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Best-Ever Broccoli Cheese Soup.
1. Info for Best-Ever Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 308.01 kcal
2. Ingredients for Best-Ever Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/2 onion (large)
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery (medium)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 oz. broccoli florets (4 to 5 cups)
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for vegetables)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 tsp. salt (for soup)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper (for soup)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (use orange cheddar, 8 oz.)
- Fresh parsley (minced, for serving)
- Salt (optional, for serving)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional, for serving)
Finely chop the onion, carrots, and celery. Mince the garlic. Chop broccoli into 1/2 inch florets, and finely chop any broccoli stems. Set garlic and broccoli aside.
Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and salt. Saute until vegetables are softened, 6-7 minutes.
Add the minced garlic and mustard to pot and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over vegetables and stir to evenly coat.
Stream the broth and milk into pot, stirring to dissolve flour. Season soup with salt and pepper, then add broccoli.
Bring soup to a low boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until broccoli is just tender, about 10 minutes.
Turn off heat, but leave soup pot on the burner. Add half of the cheese to soup in two additions, stirring after each, until completely melted.
Mince the parsley. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to soup if desired.