Lean ground beef, lots of veggies, and cannellini beans combine to make a satisfying and healthy soup that comes together fast. We added tender Swiss chard at the end for a shot of green, but you could substitute lacinato kale or spinach instead. Serve the soup sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, and offer garlic bread on the side.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Hearty Italian Beef and Vegetable Soup.
1. Info for Hearty Italian Beef and Vegetable Soup
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 40 min
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 236.57 kcal
2. Ingredients for Hearty Italian Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 1 medium onion (about 1 1/2 cup chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 cup beef broth
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (14.5 oz. per can)
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 oz. per can)
- 1/4 crushed red pepper flakes (optional, 1/4 tsp. more if desired)
- 8 oz. Swiss chard (4 cups chopped)
- 1/2 salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Chop onion and garlic. Peel and chop the carrots, and chop the celery. Set carrots and celery aside.
Saute the beef and onion in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to break up meat, until beef is cooked through and onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste, garlic, and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
Add the broth, tomatoes, carrots, and celery to pot. Rinse and drain the cannellini beans and stir them into pot. Bring soup to a simmer over high heat, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the chard.
Strip chard leaves from center ribs with your fingers, and reserve ribs for another use. Coarsely chop the leaves.
Stir chopped chard into soup and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with Parmesan. Cooled soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.