These zippy and sweet lemon cake pops add sunshine to any celebration.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Lemon Cake Pops.
Info for Lemon Cake Pops
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Servings: 24
- Calories: 333.92 kcal
Ingredients for Lemon Cake Pops
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups lemon or vanilla frosting (about half of 14-16 oz. container)
- 2 oz. white chocolate bar, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup, for cake pop sticks)
- 12 oz. white chocolate, finely chopped (about 2 cups, for coating)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9×13-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the butter, canola oil, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream ingredients on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Add the eggs and continue to beat until mixture is light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl, and pour in the lemon juice. Beat the mixture on low until ingredients begin to come together. Slowly stream in the milk and continue mixing, scraping down sides of the bowl with rubber spatula as needed, until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake the cake on middle rack of oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Check to see that cake is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed. Allow cake to cool for at least 2 hours, until it reaches room temperature.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Once the cake is completely cool, use clean hands to crumble it into a large mixing bowl, leaving no large pieces. Add the frosting and mix with a rubber spatula until it is thoroughly incorporated into the crumbs.
- Roll the cake mixture into 24 ping pong sized balls, using a generous tablespoon for each, and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Microwave the white chocolate in a small bowl in 20-30 second increments until melted and smooth.
- Dip one end of a cake pop stick into the melted white chocolate, and insert the dipped end into a cake pop ball. Repeat with the remaining cake pops.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer until cake balls are very firm, about 1 hour.
- Use a double boiler or microwave to thoroughly melt together the chopped white chocolate and coconut oil. Once the chocolate is melted, stir in 3-4 drops food coloring, if desired.
- Remove 3 or 4 cake balls from the freezer, leaving rest inside so they stay as cold as possible. Dip a cake ball in melted chocolate, tapping the stick gently against the side of the bowl to encourage any excess to drip off. Place cake pop right-side up in a cake pop stand. Repeat, continuing to work in batches of 3 or 4 at a time, until all cake pops are coated in chocolate.
- Transfer the cake pop stand to refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes, or until chocolate is set. Serve and enjoy.