Gila is a sweet jam made from candied squash, and iit is a Portuguese specialty. Here the jam is included in the batter for a simple cake that’s sweetened with light brown sugar and enriched with three yolks in addition to the whole eggs. Ground almonds, otherwise known as almond meal or flour, is the only flour used, meaning this cake is gluten free. It only needs to be dusted with powdered sugar to be served.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for My “Toucinho do Céu” (Portuguese traditional desert).
1. Info for My “Toucinho do Céu” (Portuguese traditional desert)
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 589.42 kcal
2. Ingredients for My “Toucinho do Céu” (Portuguese traditional desert)
- 200 gr. light brown or brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 gr. ground almonds
- 1/3 cup fresh gila
- Grease and line the bottom of a round cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, add the sugar, eggs and egg yolks. Beat well using an electric mixer, until it’s creamy and thick. Add the gila jam and almonds. Mix until smooth.
- Place the dough in the pan and bake until cooked, it will be slightly damp when done.
- Remove from oven, unmold, and when cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.