This recipe for the Thanksgiving classic is sure to make the best pumpkin pie you’ve ever tried. The secret to a perfectly textured filling? Removing the excess water from the pumpkin puree before using!
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Perfect Pumpkin Pie.
Info for Perfect Pumpkin Pie
- Cook Time: 1 hr 32 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 32 min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 285.49 kcal
Ingredients for Perfect Pumpkin Pie
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 1 (15oz.) can pumpkin puree
- 1 1/8 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp. cardamom
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Adjust a rack to the lowest position in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and press into the corners. Trim any excess from the edges as needed. Line with a sheet of parchment paper large enough to hang over the edges of the plate, and fill with pie weights. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove crust from the freezer. Bake on lowest rack of oven until edges of the crust are very slightly golden and center is matte, 25-30 minutes.
- When done, remove crust from oven and carefully lift off the parchment and pie weights.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Scoop the pumpkin purée into the center of a clean dish towel. Gather the towel around the pumpkin, creating a pouch, and squeeze out as much water as possible over a bowl or sink.
- Place the pressed pumpkin in a large mixing bowl. Add the evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, spices, salt, and black pepper. Whisk until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour the filling into the baked crust. Cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil.
- Bake the pie on lowest rack of oven until the crust is golden and the filling is firm and puffed around the edges, 50-55 minutes.
- Check to see that pie is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for 2 hours, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. Refrigerate leftovers for 3 days.