For a wholesome breakfast idea, try this Portuguese spin on all-American oatmeal, which has you cooking the oats in milk (and not water) for extra flavor and body, and then sweetening with sugar or honey, depending on your particular preference for either or. A grated apple is stirred into the oatmeal before serving, adding wonderful cool, crisp contrast to the warm, tender porridge. Ground cinnamon is dusted on top for a hit of warming spice.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Porridge, Mingau or, in portuguese, Papas de Aveia.
1. Info for Porridge, Mingau or, in portuguese, Papas de Aveia
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Servings: 2
- Calories: 221.52 kcal
2. Ingredients for Porridge, Mingau or, in portuguese, Papas de Aveia
- 100 grs oat flakes
- 350 ml of milk, water or soy milk (I mixed milk and water for it not become so strong)
- 1 pinch of hand harvested salt
- 2 tablespoons of sugar or 1 of honey (this last one is more natural but leaves a stronger flavor! )
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Boil the milk in a saucepan, add the oats and season with a pinch of salt. Bake oats by stirring from time to time for they don’t srick. Add sugar or honey.
- Wash the apple, peel, remove the core and grate.
- Mix the apple with the oats, stir well and pour into a bowl.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve hot.