If you’ve never made flour tortillas before from scratch, you’re in for a true revelation. Not only is it absolutely achievable, it’s also downright delicious, and you can make them in big batches and then keep in the freezer for future meals. Once the dough is ready, you simply divide it into balls, roll out into thin rounds, and then cook in a dry skillet until golden brown, which can happen very quickly so pay close attention. They’re topped here with chicken and the usual fixings, but you can use the tortillas for sandwich wraps, breakfast burritos, and much more.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Mexican Tortillas, the Portuguese Style!.
1. Info for Mexican Tortillas, the Portuguese Style!
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Servings: 4
2. Ingredients for Mexican Tortillas, the Portuguese Style!
- 500 g T65 flour
- 100 g lard or margarine
- 2 tsp salt
- 250 g Water
- 2 chicken brests, grilled and shredded
- Grated carrots
- Boiled egg broken into little pieces
- Pitted black olives
- In the Thermomix, combine the flour, lard or margarine, and salt and mix for 10 seconds at speed 7.
- Add the water and set for another 10 seconds, speed 7.
- Then, set at spike speed for 1 minute.
- Remove from the Thermomix, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Divide the dough into 16 balls of approximately 50 g each. Flour a working surface, place the dough on it and roll out each ball into a large and very thin circle.
- Heat a non-sticking frying pan and place the circles on, one at a time, until the tortilla is golden brown on both sides. The process is quick, so do not move away from the stove. Place the tortillas on top of each other to keep them warm.
- Growing up, we never wasted food, so we also served these for breakfast with tomato jam – that’s a suggestion!