These classic slow-cooked collard greens may have a lower sodium content than most traditional recipes, but they’re just as delicious.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Reduced-Sodium Baked Collard Greens.
1. Info for Reduced-Sodium Baked Collard Greens
- Cook Time: 1 Hr 45 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 45 Min
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 114.61 kcal
2. Ingredients for Reduced-Sodium Baked Collard Greens
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bag chopped collard green leaves (3 lb. per bag)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or 1 tsp. low-sodium salt replacement)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 300°F.
Set a Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium heat and pour in the olive oil. Once oil is hot, add the onion. Saute until onion is lightly browned and softened, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds longer. Pour the chicken broth into the pot to deglaze bottom.
Add the collard green leaves to the pot one handful at a time, stirring to coat in broth and onions. Cook, stirring constantly, until greens have wilted down, 4-5 minutes.
Add the apple cider vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, salt (or salt replacement), and black pepper and stir into the greens. Place a lid tightly on the pot.
Bake the collards on middle rack of oven until very dark green and soft, 75-90 minutes.
Check to see that collard greens are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Stir the butter into the collards. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired, and serve immediately.