Though easy to make, this moist, spiced carrot cake still includes the classic raisins, walnuts, and luscious cream cheese frosting. Serve the two layers individually, or stack them for a layer cake.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Simple Carrot Cake.
1. Info for Simple Carrot Cake
- Cook Time: 1 Hr 48 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 48 Min
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 776.19 kcal
2. Ingredients for Simple Carrot Cake
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 medium carrots (about 2 cups, grated)
- 1 oz. walnuts (1/4 cup per 1 oz., finely chopped, optional)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (150g per 3/4 cup, packed)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150g per 3/4 cup)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (125g per 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or a blend of cinnamon, ginger powder, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 5/8 tsp. salt (divided)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 12oz. cream cheese (1 1/2 blocks, softened)
- 4oz. unsalted butter (1 stick, softened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Grate the carrots and finely chop the walnuts.
Place the canola oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously until smooth and combined.
Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Continue whisking until the mixture is just combined. Do not over-mix.
Fold in the grated carrots, raisins, and nuts.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
Bake the cakes on middle rack of oven until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 29-33 minutes.
Check to see that cakes are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 15-20 minutes. While the cakes cool, make the frosting.
Place the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar in two additions, beating on low speed after each until the sugar is fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and salt to the bowl. Continue beating on medium-high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
To release the cakes, run a butter knife between the edge of the cake and the pan. Turn each cake onto a cooling rack. Allow the cakes to cool fully for 1-2 hours before frosting. Store frosting in the refrigerator while cakes cool.
Frost the cakes as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers in a container for up to 1 week.