Sophisticated and beautiful, these buttery shortbread cookies combine tart cranberries with two of their best partners, dark chocolate and pecans. Because they’re slice-and-bake, it’s easy to make some now and save some for later. Keep them in mind for gift-giving, too.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Dark Chocolate Cranberry Cookies.
Info for Dark Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Servings: 36
- Calories: 132.24 kcal
Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate (from bars, or use dark chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans (toasted pieces)
- 8 oz. unsalted butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 egg yolks (large)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (for dough)
- All-purpose flour (for work surface)
- Butter (softened, optional, for pans)
- Chop the chocolate if using bars. Coarsely chop the cranberries, and chop the pecans if pieces are large. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the butter, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour with the mixer on low, beating until almost combined. Add the chocolate, cranberries, and pecans and mix until just combined.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and divide in half. Shape each half into a log about 9 inches long. Wrap logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour, or up to a few days.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or grease with butter.
- Cut the logs into 1/2 inch slices. Arrange slices on the prepared baking sheets about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake the cookies on upper-middle and lower-middle racks of oven, switching pan positions halfway through cook time, until barely starting to brown at edges and set in middle, 13-15 minutes.
- Check to see that cookies are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Transfer baking sheets to a cooling rack. Serve cookies warm or at room temperature.