This is a quick beef stir fry recipe accompanied with broccoli florets and carrots. The sauce consists of sherry wine vinegar, palm sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce and a bit of corn starch as the thickening agent.
I served the beef dish with steamed jasmine rice. It’s that simple. Why order out?
1. Info for Vietnamese Beef and Broccoli Recipe (Thit Bo Xao)
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 297kcal
2. Ingredients for Vietnamese Beef and Broccoli Recipe (Thit Bo Xao)
- 1 pound beef sirloin, very cold, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or any neutral oil)
- 1 pound broccoli florets, blanched and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and coarsely crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar (or regular sugar), freshly grated
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- Clean the ginger root and remove any dirt. Peel the ginger root with a paring knife (or the edge of a spoon). Grate the ginger with a fine mesh Microplane.
- Note: Make sure the beef is very cold so it’s easier to slice the meat. Cut the meat perpendicular to the grain so the slices remain tender.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, palm sugar, red chili powder and grated ginger. Drizzle with a little oil. Allow to marinate for about 5-10 minutes.
- Pat the meat dry using paper towels.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of beef stock.
- In a wok, add oil. Once the oil is hot (over high heat), add garlic. Cook for a minute. Add the meat and quickly pan-sear each side of the pieces. Add the carrot, vinegar, oyster sauce and soy sauce. Pour in the cornstarch liquid and beef stock. Cook for about 4 minutes until the meat changes color, stirring constantly. Add the broccoli. Mix well. Drizzle with sesame oil.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bon appétit!