With winter officially here, nothing can be warmer than curling up by the fireplace with a mug of your favorite drink and a warm blanket. I’m not a winter girl. But since I live in a place with insanely cold and harsh winters, I opt for hot, healthy drinks to keep me warm and cozy when it’s frosty outside.
When it comes to winter beverages, dieters tend to avoid them. Whether you count calories or crave something delicious to tickle your taste buds, these eight winter drinks are sure to satisfy you.
1. Hot Maple Apple CiderHot Maple Apple Cider is created to warm you up during the cold winter evenings without ruining your waistline. It’s low in sugar and high in nutrients. The win-win solution for those who count calories.
- Cuisine: American;
- Category: Drinks;
- Serves: 2;
- Prep Time:10 min;
- Cook time:2 hr;
- Nutrition Per Serving: 226;
- 2 pounds organic sweet apples
- 2 teaspoons stevia extract
- 1 teaspoon pure maple extract (or vanilla)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- low calorie whipped topping and maple syrup, optional
Start with apples. Clean them, cut and remove the seeds and the core. Put the apples, stevia, cinnamon stick and maple extract into a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, let simmer for 2 hours or until the apples can be easily smashed. Pass through a sieve, and serve warm with topping and maple syrup.