The weather has been getting chilly here in the Bay Area, and it’s really starting to feel like fall. With Halloween and Thanksgiving coming very soon, I thought I’d make a breakfast dish that captures the tastes of autumn. To accomplish this I served oatmeal flavored with pumpkin purée, cinnamon, ground ginger and maple syrup.
Oatmeal is great at any time of the day. In fact, it’s our favorite evening snack. It’s a quick and easy way to fulfill our late-night cravings. There is literally an unlimited number of ways to flavor oatmeal, making it a perfect palette upon which to test out ingredient combinations.
1. Info for Pumpkin Oatmeal Recipe: How You Should Be Starting Your Monday
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 2
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Pumpkin Oatmeal Recipe: How You Should Be Starting Your Monday
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- 1-¼ cups almond milk, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or almond extract)
- ½ cup homemade pumpkin purée, freshly roasted
- 1-½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, slightly crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon, + extra for dusting
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine the quick oats and 3/4 cup almond milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a full boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add pumpkin purée and the remaining almond milk, depending on how thick you like the consistency of oatmeal. Sweeten with brown sugar. Remove from the heat. Add vanilla, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Stir well.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Sprinkle with almonds and cinnamon.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bon appétit!