Times are tough all over. Food is expensive and paychecks are dwindling and in some cases disappearing. We are eating more beans, lentils and split peas than ever. Sometimes, I appease the Good Guy and put meat in it, sometimes, I don’t. This is a great CHEAP and tasty recipe given to me a decade ago by a dear friend. It is tried and true.
Should I warn you that this is a big casserole? It feeds a veritable army. You can freeze the leftovers, or you can make two smaller pans, or you can halve the recipe before you make it.
1. Info for Baked Lentil Casserole
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Baked Lentil Casserole
- 1 cup lentils, sorted
- 3 cups water
- bay leaf
- ⅛ tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 16oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a GREASED 9 X 13 pan, cover and bake the first 10 ingredients at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, green pepper and parsley and gently stir together.
- Cover again and bake one hour.
- Stir in the cheese and bake uncovered another 5 minutes or until melted.