Beef Lombardi is a hearty casserole with ground beef, egg noodles, cream cheese, tomatoes and tons of flavor.
I know it’s almost Christmas and everyone is anxious to read about the latest fudge or cheese filled appetizer, but let’s face it folks, we all have to sneak in a little dinner here and there. And is this ever a dinner to remember! Oodles of oniony cream cheese layered between egg noodles and a beefy tomato sauce will have you saying, “What plate of holiday cookies?” and going back for seconds and thirds.
As a side note, I have made this gluten free by using Asian rice noodles. You can substitute any gluten free pasta. The flavors are still amazing, though there is no real gluten free substitute for egg noodles. Both the gluten free and gluten full versions were eaten by my family, the gluten eaters and they had no complaints about the difference in pasta texture. Perhaps I just had a case of “the grass is greener” as I watched the fam down their plates of egg pasta casserole.
1. Info for Beef Lombardi
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Beef Lombardi
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pkg egg noodles, cooked
- 1 8oz pkg cream cheese
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- Brown beef over medium heat.
- Drain fat.
- Add garlic and cook until soft.
- Add tomatoes, honey, salt, pepper, bay leaf and Tabasco.
- Lower the heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Combine the cooked noodles with the cream cheese, green onions and sour cream.
- Grease a 9 X 13 pan and alternately layer noodle mixture, tomato mixture and grated cheese, ending with the cheese on top.
- Bake covered, in a preheated 350 degree oven, for 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
- You can freeze this before or after baking.