Broiling grapfruits is extremely easy, and it imparts an added sweetness to the fruit. If you know someone who won’t eat grapefruits and complains about the bitterness, this recipe might change their mind.
Just glaze the fruit with a sweetener and place under the broiler of your oven for a few minutes. The combination of the tart and slightly sweet glaze makes it a winner.
I serve it as a side for breakfast or during Sunday brunches. My hubby loves it. Or you can serve it as a first course as I used to get in my middle school cafeteria in France.
1. Info for Broiled Agave Nectar and Honey Grapefruit
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Servings: 2
- Calories: 193
2. Ingredients for Broiled Agave Nectar and Honey Grapefruit
- 1 pink grapefruit , chilled
- 1 Tbs agave nectar
- 1 Tbs raw honey
- 2 tsp sugar in the raw
- 1 maraschino cherry, (optional)
- 1 kumquat, (optional)
- Preheat the broiler of the oven on the low setting.
- Wash the grapefruit and kumquat. Cut the grapefruit in half horizontally. Cut the kumquat into thick slices.
- Sprinkle some sugar in the raw on the sliced kumquat. Caramelize the sugar using a blow torch. Repeat the same procedure on the other side of the kumquat slice. If you don’t own a blow torch you can place under the broiler of your oven at the same time as the grapefruit.
- Separate and cut each segment of the grapefruit using a small serrated knife. It’s very easy, just follow the membrane around each segment. This step is necessary to loosen the fruit and make it easy to consume.
- In a small bowl, mix the agave nectar with the honey. Melt the mix in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Spread the agave honey glaze on the flesh of the grapefruit using a tablespoon. Sprinkle a little sugar on top.
- Place the two halved grapefruit on a baking sheet. Place under the broiler of your oven (or a salamander) for about 5-6 minutes. The sugar will start to caramelize and be bubbly.
- Remove from the oven. Accentuate the broiled portion using a blow torch if necessary. This step is optional and is only for aesthetic purposes.
- Decorate with a slice of caramelized kumquat and top with a halved maraschino cherry.
- Serve warm with a grapefruit spoon (with serrated edges for an easier grip) and additional agave syrup.