My son, the Thinker, turned 14 last week. In celebration of his birthday, I hosted a fancy dinner for him and a few of his friends. They had to dress up with white shirts and ties. They had to use the proper forks. They had to initiate decent conversations. I served the food and played “Manner Mentor” from the kitchen. It was a lot of fun.
I served these carrot timbales as one of the sides to the meal. Filled with dill Havarti, cream cheese and eggs, they are a delightfully rich way to serve carrots. The filling is similar to a carrot mousse.
1. Info for Carrot Timbales
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 184kcal
2. Ingredients for Carrot Timbales
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut waxed paper or parchment paper to fit into the bottom of each ramekin (8).
- Butter the sides of the ramekins, too.
- In two pans, cook the carrots, the sliced in one and the shredded in the other, until done.
- Carefully spiral the drained, sliced carrots into the bottom of the ramekins.
- Drain the shredded carrots and put them into a food processor along with the cream cheese, havarti cheese, dill weed, eggs and salt & pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture over the sliced carrots and bake in a water filled pan at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.
- When they come out of the oven, let sit for a few minutes, run a knife around the edge and invert on individual plates.