Recently I made a pumpkin spice latte and it got me thinking about other drinks that I could make using this Fall flavor. The girls love smoothies, so it seemed like an obvious choice.
I combined some pumpkin purée with traditional pumpkin pie spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon to form the base of the smoothie. Maple syrup and brown sugar provide the sweetness, and oatmeal helps to thicken the drink and provide texture. No bananas here.
If you’re looking for a healthy alternative to gorging on slices of pumpkin pie, this smoothie fits the bill. It has the same flavor but with fewer calories and more nutrition. If that’s not your goal, you could always throw in a scoop of ice cream and make a milkshake…
1. Info for Pumpkin Oatmeal Smoothie
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Pumpkin Oatmeal Smoothie
- 1 (1.23 ounce) package maple and brown sugar oatmeal
- 1-1/2 cups vanilla soy milk, as needed (depending on how thick your like your smoothie)
- 3 cups ice cubes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1/8 teaspoon anise extract
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 tablespoons pumpkin purée, as needed
- 1 ounce whey protein powder (optional)
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste
- Combine the maple and brown sugar oatmeal and 1/2 cup of vanilla soy milk in a small bowl. Place in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Combine the oatmeal, pumpkin purée, whey protein powder (if used), ice cubes, maple syrup and all the spices in a blender. Blend all the ingredients for about 2 minutes. While the mixture is blending, add the remaining vanilla soy milk. The consistency of the smoothie should be smooth and creamy.
- You’ll get about a yield of 3-3/4 cups. Pour into 4 glasses.
- Finish with a cocktail drink umbrella for decoration if you like.