Sharbat is a very common drink during our family gatherings. It’s a sweet chilled dairy drink mixed with Rooh Afza syrup, cardamom seeds, almonds, cashews and pistachios. Sharbat is a popular ethnic pink drink in India and Pakistan. Sharbat gets its characteristic pink color from Rooh Afza.
I’m still unclear of its composition but here’s what I’ve learned from Lulu’s aunt: Rooh Afza is made out of fruit (Watermelon) extracts, coriander seeds, flower petals like Gulab (Rose) and herbs.
It’s very good, sweet, very filling and addictive. The high calorie combination of sugar and nuts is an energy drink by itself. It’s great fuel for an evening with family and friends.
1. Info for Sharbat (Indian Milk Drink made with Rooh Afza Syrup, Cardamom Seeds, Almonds, Cashews and Pistachios)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 12
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Sharbat (Indian Milk Drink made with Rooh Afza Syrup, Cardamom Seeds, Almonds, Cashews and Pistachios)
- 1 cup cashews, pistachios and almonds, finely crushed
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1 gallon whole milk
- 8 cups superfine sugar, to taste
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup Rooh Afza, to taste
- In a mortar and pestle, grind the cardamom seeds. Crush all the nits and gather about 1 tsp.
- Dissolve the Rooh Afza syrup and superfine sugar in the milk. Taste. If you like your drink a little more sweet, add more Rooh Afza and superfine sugar.
- Mix the nuts, cardamom powder, vanilla extract in the sweet milk.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Sip it slowly… and enjoy!