It’s time for the monthly Improv Cooking Challenge! This month we are celebrating all things pasta and cheese. It seems fitting with the children back in school that the ingredients are kid friendly. I know, at least in my family, that all five of my kids love macaroni and cheese, lasagna, and all other cheese and pasta combinations.
Being gluten free, well that adds to the challenge! I have found that there are some pretty tasty gf pastas available. I usually buy Tinkyada brand, but Delallo is the only gf brand of orzo I can find locally. In the old days, pasta was pasta and I didn’t pay attention to brands. In the old days, I didn’t have to spend almost $5 for a bag of orzo. I miss the old days. I’d better change the subject before this turns too maudlin.
Using the technique I learned from a friend, I used a jar of store bought Alfredo sauce as the base of the sauce. I really love how easy this entire meal was. One skillet meals are so weeknight friendly; and dish washer person friendly, too! This ended up tasting very similar to a cheese rice-a-roni type meal.
1. Info for Smoked Sausage Orzo and Cheese Broccoli Skillet
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Smoked Sausage Orzo and Cheese Broccoli Skillet
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz orzo
- 16 oz smoked sausage, sliced thin
- 14 oz jar Alfredo sauce
- 8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soften the vegetables in olive oil over medium heat in a non stick skillet.
- Cover for a few minutes to hasten the cooking.
- Add the broth, orzo and meat.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- When pasta is completely cooked, combine the Alfredo sauce and cheese in a bowl and add to the skillet.
- Stir to mix and heat until the cheese is melted and the sauce it smooth.
- Season to taste and serve.