I love refried beans. They go so well on nachos, in burritos, over rice, under cheese…refried beans love prepositions! I don’t want to fuss and slave all day making them. On the other hand, I don’t want to open a can and stare at that cylindrical shaped glob. Solution: get out the crock pot!
These beans are easy peasy. You just add ingredients to your slow cooker and enjoy the wonderful aroma of them cooking all day. What I have discovered, though, is that it is really hard to make refried beans look appetizing. Seriously, I cannot think of an uglier food. I kept adding more garnishes until the simple beans looked like a kaleidoscope.
1. Info for Crock Pot Refried Beans
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Crock Pot Refried Beans
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed and picked over (for little stones)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1½ Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 9 cups water (maybe more if, like mine, your slow cooker cooks hot)
- Place all but the water in the crock pot, pour water over, stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, reserving cooking liquid.
- Mash with potato masher or put through a food processor (I do the latter and include the onions), adding a little reserved liquid as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- These will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
- You can also freeze them.