For our Sunday dinner, I made a cheater beef bbq in my oven and served it with baked beans and Southern Style Yellow Squash. I think it’s the cooking in bacon drippings that makes this dish southern. Boy oh boy was this ever the way to make squash! We thought it was so much more tasty than normal. Of course, cooking in bacon drippings isn’t the healthiest, so this won’t be my everyday way of making squash, but for special ~ this is it!.
1. Info for Southern Style Yellow Squash
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Southern Style Yellow Squash
- 6 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp bacon drippings
- 1 scant Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the bacon grease over medium heat.
- Layer the squash and onion.
- Sprinkle with salt and sugar and stir a bit.
- Let cook until the vegetables caramelize, stirring every 5-7 minutes to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.