Just as I was getting ready to leave Arizona, I was contacted about receiving and reviewing a copy of Sweet Chic by Rachel Schifter Thebault. Considering that I had already packed SIX boxes of cookbooks, how could I say no to one more?? I am really glad that I said yes, too. The author, owner of Tribeca Treats in New York City, employed a very creative way to organize her book. Each chapter ties a piece of clothing to food. For example, the scooped cookies are the white t-shirts, the chocolate cake is the little black dress and the vanilla icings are the ballet flats.
I chose to make the S’mores Cupcakes. They were mini sized devil’s food cupcakes topped with a marshmallow butter cream frosting and sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs. The cake was moist, the frosting was amazing. My family was more than happy to be the taste testers.
I had a hard time frosting them because all of my pastry bags were still packed. I used an inferior no name brand of zip close sandwich bags which kept splitting out the side as I squeezed it. I went through two or three bags, layering them on top of each other as I attempted to make cute swirls on top of the cakes. In the end, I gave up and just used a knife to spread the rest. I didn’t take pictures of those, but they were eaten just as quickly.
1. Info for S’mores Cupcakes
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for S’mores Cupcakes
- 1½ cups flour
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Icing:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup Marshmallow Fluff
- Grease 3 12 count mini muffin pans.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Scoop into the 36 mini muffin cups and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for12-15 minutes or until done.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat butter and sugar until incorporated.
- Add the Marshmallow Fluff and mix on medium high until smooth.
- Pipe it onto cooled cupcakes (watch out…it melts in the heat, so refrigerate afterwards!)
- Crush two or three big graham crackers and sprinkle over the iced cupcakes.